The NYC/New York Central System introduced it's "Pacemaker" freight trains in 1946. Named after the Central's high-speed New York to Chicago "Pacemaker" passenger train the service was skillfully marketed and aimed at recapturing L.C.L. (Less than Car Load) traffic. The "Pacemaker" trains featured distinctive specially designed boxcars painted in a flashy vermillion and gray livery with "Pacemaker" written on the sides in script. The cars were equipped with high speed trucks that used stabilizers and bolsters to reduce incidents of in-transit damage. As "Pacemaker" service expanded the box car fleet grew to 1,000 cars.
The "Pacemaker" fast freights originally operated on an 11 hour schedule from Manhattan to Buffalo / Niagara Falls. Carrying the symbol NB-1 the "Pacemaker" left Manhattan at 7:45 PM and arrived at Buffalo 6:50 AM the following morning. By 1950 "Pacemaker Service" reached most Mid-Western cities within the Central's service region.
Quite possibly, the Pacemaker Service would have expanded throughout the NY Central freight car fleet. This ore car takes the Pacemaker Service freight car scheme version to the ore car fleet.